Step-by-step Guide to Collect Your Comodo EV Code Signing Certificate
The steps involved in the process of collecting a Comodo EV Code Signing certificate are different from the process to collect a standard Code Signing certificate. This guide aims to help you with each step in the process of collecting a Comodo EV Code Signing certificate. You’ll be able to get your Comodo EV Code Signing certificate and start signing your apps or code quickly.
About EV Code Signing Certificates
EV Code signing certificates are similar to regular code signing certificates, but they come with some additional security features:
- The vetting process and validation process for the regular code signing certificates and EV code signing certificates are similar by it is slightly more extensive for EV Code Signing certificates.
- An EV code signing certificate will be issued only after the publisher’s identity is verified. EV Code Signing certificates involve two-factor authentication–the private keys required to sign your code will be stored on a physical token. This is done to avoid unauthorized people from being able to use your certificate.
Comodo will start the validation process soon after a request for an EV code signing certificate is made. After validation is completed, the EV code signing certificate will be mailed to you to at the address you provided. You can find your certificate and private key on a physical token in the package. The package will be mailed through UPS or FedEx.
What’s in the Package You Receive From Comodo
You will find the following in the EV code signing package you receive from Comodo:
- A small USB token with a chip that contains your private key. (This is the package’s most important part.)
- A device used to read the smart card to sign your code and apps with the private key stored in it.
- An acknowledgment letter from Comodo with instructions. You will need to keep the letter safe.
Collecting Your EV Code Signing Certificate
Here are the steps you will have to follow to collect your EV Code Signing certificate:
- The first step is to download and install the “SafeNet Authentication Client.” You can follow the instructions on the letter you received from Comodo and download the version of the software that is compatible with your system by visiting the URL provided.
- Once the software is downloaded, you can install it. After the installation process is complete, restart your system once.
- You can now open the SafeNet Authentication Client that was installed. Plugin your smart card reader with the smart card you received in the package. You will now see the device lighting up and changing colors between blue and purple. The light will remain purple once the device is detected and the software is installed.
You will see something very similar to the following, once the card is recognized by the SafeNet Client.
This step is optional and is not mandatory. However, changing your token password is highly recommended. To change your password, click on “Change Token Password” and enter the current password you received from Comodo. Then, enter the new password of your choice.
Collect Your EV Code Signing Certificates
This is the last step where you will collect your certificate. When you click on the “Gear” icon at the top right corner, you will see a sidebar on the left with drop-downs and tokens. Scroll down until you find the certificate. You should see something like the below image.
Now, you are all set to start signing your app or code with your EV code signing certificate!